Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Long time ago before the kids came, when life was simpler....without macbook, iphone, ipod, ipad, wifi.....I used to read real books.

At the beginning of each holiday, I would go to the book store and buy a few books. One of my favourite author is Thomas Hardy. I think I have all the titles that are in the bookstores.

His books are not easy to read. The flow must not be broken otherwise it's easy to lose interest. So holiday before the kids came was the best time as I can just read on and on and on without anybody disturbing me.

I like his books as Hardy shows how women are the downtrodden species of the human race. Poverty, disappointment, class difference.....nothing has changed today.

Tess is one of his best books. I've quite forgotten the story until I saw the show on youtube. Not easy  to watch .... so sad. That's how Hardy's book is; melancholic and gray.

I'm into episode 3 now and I've stopped to blog because I'm so afraid to see what would happen next (though I know what would happen next). Sigh....the show must go on ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Wj2rOv308&feature=relmfu

No comments: