Saturday, April 26, 2014

Emily of Emerald Hill



Twenty years ago I was supposed to watch this one woman act with KC but I had to go home to visit my parents. So he went alone. He praised the play sky high that I regretted not catching it with him.

Thanks to BS for posting on her fb...this time I managed to catch the play despite a very tight schedule. Daniel was at the Planetarium for a school excursion. Kc picked him up at lunch hour. Dan was bored waiting for time to pass in the dad's office. I took a commuter to Sentral at 4.  We met at 5.45 and went straight to Damansara Empire. (Waze cannot be trusted totally).

Saw some exhibitions before the show started. 

This setting is meant for photo shoots I believe. Very brightly lighted. Kc and I managed to take a picture with Pearlly after the show here. 

Saw these umbrellas hanging outside the theatre near a Korean restaurant.  Had dinner there and watched some people filming. Think they were trying to make some coffee commercials. 

Anyway back to the drama. It was excellent. The actress...Pearly Chua has done this like 200 times. She is clear and loud. Her diction is really good. Without a microphone she could project her voice loud and clear even when she goes softer. 

Expressions are fantastic. I remembered the scene when she received a telegram from London. She read through it real fast and I gasped aloud. She had just read that her son died. Most of the time I was staring at her and listening with both ears turned up (if that is possible)...not wanting to miss anything. 

We could relate and identify with Emily so well. It's part of the Chinese culture though she's a nyonya. It's so Malaysian in a way. But sad to say...that is how society is like. Like Emily...conniving, manupalative and domineering. Put so much up front for face value. 

To me Emily has led a very sad life...trying to achieve much but at the end she has nothing. I love this drama. Thought provoking. Powerful reminder to myself to enjoy and live LIFE. To love my children just as they are and not make them to be someone else. To love my husband for all that he is. Tyrant as she is, Emily has a good heart too. 

It was an interesting experience for Dan. He acted as Jesus last Good Friday and did it pretty well. Quite surprised that he could remember his scripts and act. So there was much for him to learn watching Emily hrough Pearlly Chua. 

Excellent and highly recommended. Catch it if you have a chance. 




No comments: