Wednesday, February 24, 2016

of wives and concubines


Been very much into chinese history videos these past few weeks. It's part of my homework every time I teach Form 4 history (Chapter 2) which touches on the chinese civilization.

Started off by watching The First Emperor of China ie Shih Huang Ti. Wanted to re-watch The Emperor and The Assassin but ended with the documentary. Very impressed by it. Worth my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb1CcvqJ0gc

Then came along some other documentary on eunuch and some weird chinese wedding rituals before I ended with the movie Raise the Red Lantern.

What a movie!! Women were such downtrodden species in the eyes of the chinese. Was so disturbed watching it. Just can't imagine that such tradition actually took place in society. I think many rich chinese men in Malaya had quite a number of wives also. I guess it's a way of showing wealth??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yo8bvg0MAg

Then again, polygamy is practiced by the Muslims too up till this day. Wonder how is the sisterhood of wives like amongst them? Human being human.....I don't think there is any one woman who will be happy to see the husband having other wife or wives. No matter how noble she may want to be, the matter of heart is known only to her.

It was an interesting movie to ponder on.

No comments: