Thursday, January 17, 2013

money money money

Today the school gave away the RM100 bantuan to students. Letters to parents stated that the event will start at 145pm. Parents rushed from lunch break to school to find that they have to wait at the hall for speech from some vvip. The vvip was caught in the traffic jam (traffic blocked all the way down the hill past the primary school because of this). The whole thing was supposed to start at 2pm but he arrived at 230pm.

Parents were getting restless and looked like a riot would break out. Finally they broke out of the hall and rushed to the classrooms. By the time I returned to school at 225pm (after making sure that my son is safe at home before I take care of other people's children) there were long queues outside the classrooms.

For a hundred ringgit and such chaos it caused everybody. The admins were stressed because vvip was late. The traffic was screwed up and nobody was getting anywhere (I was smart enough to take another route return to school). Parents were angry and upset that they were subjected to listen to speeches before they can get the money. I heard some even left before without taking the money. Can't blame them....they need to work too.

Can this be done in a simpler way with less hassle? Of course.....forget about speeches and trying to impress us on how good the govt is to us. We know and can see this for ourselves. Actions speaks louder than words. Taking the money is just less than two minutes.....sign the paper to acknowledge that the money is taken. Say thank you and bye to the teacher on duty. Take the money and leave. 

When will we ever learn to work effectively and efficiently without wasting time? Infact we were instructed not to leave school till 430pm. But all my students' parents had come and gone except for six whose parents were not coming. What am I suppose to do.....sit and wait till 430 while my son walks a mile to his music class with the probability of kidnap, accident, chased by dogs etc?

I felt bad but I left at 345 to send him to his class at 4pm because I can't sit in school knowing that my own child is on the street walking while I am in school waiting for the clock to tick till 430. If there were still parents coming in....I wouldn't leave because at that moment I am still a teacher and my duty comes first. Then I will have to take the risk of letting him walk to class on his own.

Can some people up there see some sense and sensibility at work and help to make the work force more effective and productive? Sigh....crying to deaf ears.
RM100.....money talks??

No comments: