Friday, February 8, 2013

little thief

I was 'robbed' twice in school this week and I didn't even realise it till a student alerted me.

On Monday I was giving out workbooks to students who have paid. The balance of the books were left on the table as I walked around the class teaching.

Today, I gave out plastic files to students who have paid. I kept away the files that were not given out on the table and walked around again to teach.

At the end of the class, a student asked if I gave A her file. I said no as A has not paid for it yet. It seems A had a file. When I checked, the file was in her bag and she said it wasn't hers. Apparently she took the file from the teacher's table (she is seated in front of the teacher's table) and put it into her bag. On Monday, she took a workbook from my table and put it into her bag too.

Had the student not alerted me, I wouldn't even know that these items were missing.

It was after much pressure that A confessed her deed. What makes me sad is the fact that she doesn't see it as theft. It's like her right to take it. She said it was on her table, so she took it!!! She made it sound like there is nothing wrong to taking what she did not pay for but as it is within her reach, and she needs it; she might as well take it!

Even after threats to call her parents and expel her from school, she still had a poker face. This girl (she is small in size) is only twelve years old. She has a real sweet face and can talk. I would not have thought she could do such a thing. I was totally deceived.

Here is another example of our young generation going downhill in their values. What is happening to our society today and how can we help them?

No comments: