Saturday, February 9, 2019

CNY gatherings

This  is the season where there will be endless gatherings. Just today a group of students visited me and the endless chatter of what they are doing, where they are studying etc etc. I really appreciate their visit because it’s a reflection of their sincerity towards me as their teacher regardless of what they are doing. Am so glad today’s gathering was not the ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ sort of gathering.

5Zeta 2016??

Then there is the extended family gatherings....where we meet up with cousins and aunts and uncles etc etc. Those cousins who are doing well are so well thought of....those who are not doing so well sit in another side and there’s that group who may have brought shame to the family....they are out of the radar and spoken of in hushed tones. Talk about caste system....amongst the Chinese community there is this unwritten caste system which runs in every clan. Hubby purposely didn’t inform me of such a gathering this year and I’m blissfully ignorant and happy πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†. 

Even back home in my kampung, I didn’t go on visitations to extended families...which makes me pretty anti social I think. A dear cousin called on us almost midnight and she couldn’t understand why I didn’t visit her mum which is the remaining elder in the family. Hmmmm...I guess I value my time with my own siblings more. 

So what does an introvert like me do during CNY? I treasure very much the time with my siblings, nephews , nieces and their children. This year there are just so many cute kids. My cup overflows with joy as I spend the time with them. Call me selfish...but that was quality time spent. 
The annual movie with the nephews ...who are grown men now. That’s luxury. We hardly meet and it’s CNY that we catch up with each other. 

Just now a student ask why didn’t I go to her grandma’s house for their CNY party (my neighbor). I simply said...I’m scared of crowds. Which is absolutely true. Crowds....even if they are relatives make me uncomfortable and awkward. 

So the next time if I don’t attend a gathering, reunion etc etc....I hope my family and friends will be more forgiving  and understanding. 

No comments: