Thursday, February 21, 2019

Nights of Rain and Stars


This is the title of the book written by Maeve Binchy. One day during my Nilam class (a total waste of time) I saw a 12 year old student with this book. I was totally excited as MB is one of my favourite author. I thought I’ve read all of her books. Apparently not! 


This is MB. Very sensible and down to earth writer. Her style of writing is easy to read. Talking about normal people with their everyday lives but she spins tale out of normal living. There’s something real and honest in how she writes. It’s interesting too how she moves from one character to another or one place to another.

In this book she introduces us to four main characters running away from life and how a chance meeting with an angel like character brought changes to them. 

Issues like manipulation, expectations and domestic violence are touched on. I agree with her that one should not be dictated on how they should live. We need the freedom to live our lives and make our mistakes. Only then can we learn and be better people. But her conclusion is a bit over simplistic. Life in reality tend to be more complicated and sticky. 


The character David reminds me much of the kdrama Sky Castle. Expectations from parents and how to child yearns to be free from it and live his own life as his own person. 

People say love is blind (which I disagree)...through Fiona’s character she shows how a level headed person can be blinded by what she thinks is love for her man to the extent of allowing him to abuse her physically, emotionally and verbally. We can’t tell a person she / he has made the wrong choice. She has to discover it herself. 

An easy reading and entertaining book to pass time. 😀

Now I wonder if a 12 year old is able to read between the lines and come with these conclusions about life. 



No comments: