Tuesday, November 9, 2010

To hike or not to hike....Broga Hill

We had wanted to hike Broga Hill a long time. The first attempt failed because of heavy downpour. We planned for the hike on the Monday after Deepavali hols (as all of us are still on holiday).

By two pm that day, I was getting a bit worried. The clear sky was getting cloudy. I told KC we had better start early instead of leaving at 4pm. I smsed Tiffany and found out that it was also cloudy her side. By the time we left the house (it's very difficult getting people out of the house); it was almost 4pm....so much for an early start. My heart dropped when it started raining.


Leaving Seremban....pretty heavy rain but we were praying that it would stop raining or it won't be raining at Broga.

There was no rain when we hit the Lekas highway but the sky was definitely dark. I was feeling real lousy as I was looking forward to this hike very very much.

We made a wrong turn and ended up in Semenyih town but it wasn't very difficult getting out as the king scout sense is very good. It's quite a cowboy town.



We stopped in front of this place (the entrance to the hill is opposite of it). Rabbit Fun Land....is it a place for the rabbits to have fun or people to have fun with the rabbits?? It seems this place sells rabbits and rabbit meat. Thought of getting some rabbit meat for ma but it was not opened. So I don't think the rabbits have fun here.




We parked our car at this oil palm estate. This is the beginning of the journey uphill.



There are many wells like this around the estate. Don't know what's the purpose. Not deep.



Ha.....here is the sign showing us the way uphill...not that far. Just 4.8km; seemed easy to me.



We left the oil palm estate and started our way uphill. This is definitely different from the hike to the lighthouse at Cape Rachado. The path is narrow and more difficult and steep. It was quite tough for the children. I rushed them quite a bit because it was very dark and I was hoping to get to the top before it started raining.



There is deep ravine to the left and right of the path; so it is quite dangerous. Many people hike up early in the morning (6am) to catch the sunrise. I think that is even more dangerous (maybe there is another route).



We made up halfway....Lyn wasn't feeling good. She said it was as bad as doing Segak (physical fitness exam in school). She didn't look good. I felt bad for pushing her. So decided to go downhill. The sky was turning real dark and I could hear thunder. Didn't feel safe because we were exposed to lightning at certain stretches.


It started raining before we reached downhill. We opened our umbrellas and walked down. At the foot we met another hiker going up with an umbrella and walking stick.


So it was off to Nottingham University to meet Tiffany. So much for our hike to Broga. I was very disappointed but the kids disliked the hike as it was too tiring for them. From their faces I know if they have a chance, they would not want to do it again....I think I need to be more diligent in forcing them to build up their stamina.


Nottingham University here we come!!!! We met Tiffany and she introduced us to the ducks in the lake. These ducks are imported from UK!!!! The white duck is always alone. Poor duck. We pity it so much. KC suggested getting a local duck to accompany it.



Tiff bringing us around the lake and campus. It's a small campus. Very new...maybe 5 years old. Looks nice and quite scenic as it is hilly.



Another group of ducks. There is a total of 7 miserable English ducks.




As we were walking pass the cafeteria, I spotted a familiar looking face inside. She looked at me and I looked at her. It's Geraldine! We were quite excited to see each other (probably that's the last place on earth she expects to see me). Geraldine was my student.



After visiting the sports center, (good facilites), we went to dinner with Tiffany. The first restaurant (no 58 was closed); so she brought us the pineapple restaurant.


We reached home close to 830pm; and ma was quite worried. She phoned to check on me.















2 comments:

ing said...

yea ... ma was worried cos gelap di .... bahaya hiking ma ..

PreciousPearl said...

maybe need to start out earlier in the day next time?
btw, that pic of the rain looks really bad!