Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lucy Maud Montgomery

I am rereading Kilmeny of the Orchard by Lucy Maud Montogomery. I was crazy about her books when I was in varsity and the craze carried on into my early days of marriage plus motherhood. I guess it's because both KC and I were so enthralled by her style of writing, wit and ability to bring PEI close and real to our imagination.

LM Montgomery; if you don't know who she is; wrote Anne of Green Gables. That was the first book I read and since then I hunted all her books possible all the way to Vancouver. I think I have almost all of her books. Last night, I downloaded quite a few of her books from Stanza. Infact Stanza has the complete set of the Anne books.

We were so much into Anne books that we almost named Lyn 'Anne' but decided Anne with an 'e' was just too short for her. When I was carrying her, I was reading lots and lots of Montgomery's books. And...Lyn is a little like Anne actually. Since young she has the knack of using bombastic words that she picks up. When she is in the mood she will talk non-stop; that I just shut off because I can't follow her train of thoughts anymore. She strings her words all in a sentence without a fullstop or comma and jumps to another topic without warning....

So it was our dream those days that we must visit Prince Edward Island (PEI). When we visited Vancouver, we realised how foolish that dream was....PEI is in the opposite end of Canada. Just the other day, Lyn asked if I have a bucket list. I thought I would like to tour Europe one day. Today as I reread Kilmeny, I remembered my earlier dream to visit PEI. Now.....I think I should try to make this come true......

But for now, I will let Montgomery take me to PEI in my imaginations...Far below the fields a calm ocean slept bluely, and sighed in its sleep, with the murmur that rings for ever in the ear of those whose good fortune it is to have been born within the sound of it.

Yes...i can see that blue sea sleeping calmly in my mind and the soft waves lapping away as if it is just behind my house!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

u know, i had to look up Anne of Green Gables..... never heard of her before @_@

Sia Mooi said...

PP: It is a must must read book...My gal is also as crazy bout her books as KC n I. If u have an ipod touch, iphone or ipad; u can download the whole series from stanza.

Sia Mooi said...

PP: Told Lyn that u've not heard of anne...she squeaked; Oh my goodness...how could she not have heard of it...even Msia has simplified version!!!!

PreciousPearl said...

.....maybe i am illiterate
:D :p

Joycelyn Ong said...

Pn Ting, where did you get all her books? I am deeply in love with her books as well. Anne and Gilbert, the perfect pair!