Sunday, April 1, 2012

qing ming

Took the kids to the cemetery today to visit the tombs of various family members who had gone home to the Lord. We do this almost every year and this year I remembered to bring my camera along.

This is our first stop. FIL...how time flies. It was seven years ago. Whenever Lyn ran into trouble in her Chinese Language, I'll drive her over to 7R so that Kong Kong can help solve her problem. It was past 2am when the phone rang and I knew it was him....early morning phone calls always mean bad news to me.

The plot beside FIL used to be empty...so we were quite shocked to see it taken. The sons and the mother thought that it would be empty till the time comes...Could see that MIL was very upset with it. Guess she wants very much to be placed beside FIL when her time comes....On our way home I told the kids that next time when my turn and KC's turn comes, don't bother to ask any of us...just build tomb for two. I don't want to run into such a predicament like this.
Then we dropped by these two tombs which were side by side. FIL's third brother and the first to pass on. The wife followed suit five months later. It was said that this uncle had heart problem (which seem to be a trait among some of the Lim men) and the wife went into depression.
FIL's fifth brother. He was pretty sick before he passed on.
Uncle Ping...KC's second brother. He was 37. It was about 4am when Pak Meh (KC's aunt) phoned and asked if I know about Uncle Ping. I lost my voice that time and couldn't talk too well....she thought I cried till I lost my voice.
KC was in the US that time so I couldn't leave the house so early as there was no one to keep an eye on Lyn. Still remembered driving to the airport with KHoe to pick up KC ... KHoe broke the news to him. Thank God he came home on time for the funeral.
Dan said he don't remember Uncle Ping...of course not, I was in my first trimester that time.
FIL's second sister who stayed in KL. Very hospitable, friendly and kind soul. That's my memory of her.
When we drove in the cemetery, we passed this place. We were surprised to see the prime plots that were KC's grandparents' are no longer prime plots. The vacant land has been dug and used. This cemetery is very packed....looks like they will dig every inch available and soon the road going in will be no more and we have to walk in.
KC's grandparents....used to be the first row by the road. Now it has become the second row.

Well, another tradition for the children to remember.

No comments: