Tuesday, March 19, 2013

a student again

Sometime in early January I signed for a course at Seminary Teologi Malaysia (STM) together with seven other members of my church. It's called Family Ministry under Dr Herbert Tan. All of us audited this course.

It was quite an interesting experience for me being a student again. Found that I am still able to learn and I've learnt so much under Herbert. There are students from the seminary itself and also many from the Catholic church and a few from an Anglican church. Quite an eye opener as I learnt quite a lot from the Catholics who are very vocal in giving their opinion on matters of marriage, family, filial piety etc and thus learning about how such matters are carried out in their church.

The classes are conducted every Wednesday evening.....Wednesdays are the longest day of the week for me as school ends at 5pm. Lectures starts at 7.30pm. Quite a rush to cook, eat and attend lecture. So far I've only skipped the class twice and I am more than half way through the course. I've only five more lectures to attend and I'm done with this course!!!

This week, I started a new course online...through Coursera. This was introduced to me by KC who thinks that I should keep learning. I browsed through the courses available....lots of them and chose The Ancient Greeks. Thought this would be a good course for me as I do teach a little of Greek History. I enjoy it thoroughly. Spending about 10 to 15 minutes each night listening to a short lecture, answering a few questions and then a quiz at the end of the week. I need a minimum of 75% for the quiz each week to entitle me to the certificate at the end of the course.

I've gone through three lectures so far and they have been good. I realise that I enjoy learning this way and it really helps me to destress too. I guess it is doing something that is not the ordinary or mundane that makes the day/week different and enjoyable.

One is never too old to learn and I feel good being a student again! (Of course...this student does not have to work hard for grades...I'm not bothered with it!! I just want the knowledge.)

No comments: