Thursday, March 24, 2011

paper chase

Ing and Amelia had blogged on SPM....thought I want to put in my cent's worth of thot too.

History teacher just talks history. The result was really good. 47% students achieved A for that subject. That is more than 100As!!!! (We had about 290 candidates I think). Well, that's beside the point. What I'm interested here is to boast about a very special girl.

She comes from a broken home. The father left the family when she was still young. Her mother teaches in a kindergarten. She has a sister who is a slow learner.

Very soft spoken and shy girl. She was never in the limelight. I think teachers hardly noticed her because she is so quiet that she is almost invisible.

She was one of the seven students who scored 9A+....maximum A!!!! I noticed her when she entered my school and found out she was also a top scorer for UPSR. Due to her timidity, nobody took notice of her and gave her much opportuinity for anything. I was guilty of it myself...wanted to forward her name for the prefect board but remembered only when she was in Form 4. Unfortunately that year, the school only wanted candidates from the lower secondary.

In her PMR, she scored straight As again. I quickly took her under my wings...felt I need to take her up seriously and guide her through her last two years. She reported to me after every exam....consistently scoring distinctions for every subject. Her results were simply awesome.

I had never got the chance to teach her so not sure how she studies and what her academic ability is like. According to her Chemistry teacher...she is intelligent...it's not just diligence; she is blessed with good brains.

When she showed me her results yesterday...I was overjoyed. Amazing...the slip was so beautiful. I was so proud of her that I had to call out to teachers who don't know her to show them how excellent she is.

Every other person is busy going online to apply for this and that scholarship whether they qualify or not. When I called her last night, she had not applied for anything because she she has no access to the internet in her home. As she is working, she can't go to the internet cafe. So again...I felt I needed to bulldoze her into action. Here is a totally qualified candidate for a full scholarship...one who has the brains....great attitude...humble....she only lacks in PR and no ability to do any buttering.....who has not done any application but asked her friend to help her apply. Oh my....

To cut the story short, she has taken leave from work tomorrow to meet the counsellor. I mentioned her personally to the counsellor and intend to make sure she is given the attention needed.

Knowing her in a town school where majority of the students are brats is a totally refreshing and encouraging experience.

Congratulations Thivya...God will continue to bless you as you continue to honour Him in your life.

1 comment:

shantini lingam said...

Was very happy to see that Thivya was one of the perfect 7 - she certainly deserves it! A more humble, soft-spoken girl u will hardly find...moreso in puteri.
May God bless her with every success.