Monday, February 8, 2010

beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder

I met a real cute girl in 1Alpha today. She is only about 2 feet tall. She sits right in front, with a little stool at her feet as her feet can't touch the floor. This is not the first time I have met such small people in school but she is the smallest of all.

It so happen that the topic which I was teaching today is about inner beauty vs physical beauty. I quickly took the opportuinity to drill the lesson into the students' head on the importance of radiating our beauty through good character.

I told little Sofia and the whole class that everyone of them is beautiful to me. Therefore they have to uphold good virtues and values if they intend to continue to be beautiful in my eyes.

This is the weakest Form 1 class that I have and I have already spotted a few bad hats. It will be interesting to see how they progress. I hope I can put something good into them.

Another interesting person I got to know is JW. I had taught two of her sisters before. Unfortunately they did not have good academic records. The eldest left school before SPM (she was pregnant) but returned to sit for the exam. The second (whom I spent a lot of time encouraging and counselling) also stopped schooling when she reached Form 5; her excuse was her mother needed her help. I told JW that I hope she will complete her Form 5.

There are many unfortunate students in the weaker classes. It is always a challenge to help them see how academics can help them get out of the vicious economic and social cycle. The most frustrating part is when they don't see the need to be helped and the need to get out of it.

No comments: