Saturday, February 13, 2010

sticking together


This is called goh hoon. It is eaten for lunch every Chinese New Year eve. I think it is a Hinhwa tradition or could it be Khek? I don't know....but my MIL makes it without fail every year.
This noodle is a mixture of beehoon and meesuah. The meesuah is not the Sitiawan fine type but the Hinhwa rough type. It is cooked with ikan tenggiri and some chinese cabbage. Very sticky. The meaning of this noodle is to stick every member of the family together so that they come home every year for CNY.
I have been drilling this to the kids every year we eat it; they must come home for CNY no matter where they are. This noodle will stick us together as family etc etc.
I have yet to learn to cook this as MIL does it every year. We used to eat at 7R long time ago but after FIL passed on; we would go to KH's house. This year MIL decided to send it to our house as she still wants to spend time in her own kitchen preparing the dishes for tonight.
MIL does have certain traditions which must be followed every year. I must remember to boil some rice afterwards before she comes so she won't have to mention not to leave my ricepot empty.

2 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

...must be their version of tia meng ngu :)
hepiliuyer! we r having long life noodle later

Sia Mooi said...

that's great.....must keep the tradition alive. I suppose you bought the noodle from china town. May you and caveman live a long and healthy life together!!!