Friday, July 23, 2010

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

About a year ago I saw the movie 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and I wondered how accurate the story was. Recently I came across a whole series of books under the same theme by Philippa Gregory.

I started off with this copy; The Other Queen which is about Mary Queen of Scots. The story is narrated under three characters; Bess (the lady who hosted her house arrest), George; Earl of Shrewsbury (Bess' husband) and the other queen herself; Mary.

In the beginning I thought the book is fictitious but as I read further I was so intrigued by the characters that I had to google to find out what is fact and what is fiction. To my surprise, the author was pretty accurate in the historical facts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots What she did was to portray the minds of the three characters above in such a way that one could almost believe that was what they went through during that time. (This of course may not be true).

The way she spinned the story using the characters and events from history makes the story very real and true. This is one of the most accurate historical fiction that I have ever read. Philippa Gregory is a great story telller.

No comments: