Saturday, October 9, 2010

growing teens

One has gone for a school excursion and the other will be going for a party and later to the movies. And this means money. I gave Dan a small amount to spend for the excursion; reminding him it's not meant for souvenirs and useless stuff and there's no room left in the house for useless stuff. He looked disappointed as he wanted more money. Before he left, I topped it up to the amount he wanted and reminded him again....don't have to spend all; bring home whatever not spent. He is one person whom I worry will overspend as he has the tendency to buy everything under the sun.

Lyn....gave her the same amount as Dan; but she said she doesn't need so much. I didn't bother to remind her not to overspend or what not to buy as she has a better sense of economy. She reminds me much of myself; I never wanted to take more money than necessary from ma when I was depandent on her.

Those days when we went out with friends, I think we survived on very very little money. Probably $10 or less? Now....that's not even enough for a McDonald or PizzaHut.

Not too long ago, Lyn went out with some friends and one of them paid for all the food, snacks and movie tickets! I was quite horrified. Well...the friend had reasons to do so that time. OK...so I accepted the explanation.

As for my kids, I have some ground rules on how much and how they should spend their money on occassions like this. Not that I am kiamsiap (though I am a little) but I believe all children who are still depandent on the parents must be taught how to be responsible for every cent that they come into contact with and be accountable to the parents for them.

3 comments:

AJ7 said...

Setuju... kids must learn that money don't grow on rose bushes.

PreciousPearl said...

wakakaka! u taught your girl well :D

Sia Mooi said...

AJ7: it's rubber trees here!!
PP: I think she has that in her...just like the mother.