Monday, October 4, 2010

kindness

Took a drive into the interior of NS yesterday...Labu. While returning; after packing wild boar rendang from the Labu New Village (it was a hit amongst the CG members who came to our house for potbless last night) I drove past a tortoise crossing the road. KC went...stop stop stop....let's take it home and show the kids (we had 12 kids in the house last night; more than the adults).

I made a U-turn. The tortoise was still there slowly crawling across the road. But a taxi had already stopped and an Indian man was pushing it off the road. When KC approached and said he wanted the tortoise; the man gave him a nasty look; lifted the tortoise and took it to his car.

I suppose he thought that KC wanted to take the tortoise home to make tortoise soup. He was trying to protect it from us. As we drove off, I realised that the thought never occured to me to stop and push the animal off the road to safety unlike the taxi man who took the trouble to do so. He definitely had shown kindness to the animal and put both KC and I to shame....

No comments: