Friday, January 14, 2011

asam laksa

I had been wanting to cook asam laksa since the last holiday for Neechia to eat. On the very day that I planned to cook, Justine phoned and asked us over to eat asam laksa in her house. So I put the fish back into the fridge and took it out again this morning.

I went to the market to get the other stuff needed for it. Didn't make a list; so I forgot quite a few stuff.


This is 'bunga kantan'. It can be used as garnishing but I just throw it into the soup.


Mint leaves on the left and 'daun kesum' on the right. Mint leaves are for garnishing. 'Daun kesum is to be thrown into the soup when it is almost done. Daun kesum is used to cook asam fish...it is a must to give it the ooomph!

Shallots; a small bowl. Usually I will peel double of this but I was just cooking a small pot today. Didn't invite anybody over (not in the mood to have guests over).


Chillies....ok; I have only six chillies. This is way too little. I need at least 12-16 chillies to give it the 'hotness'. I thought I had chillies in the fridge; that was why I only pick up a few this morning. When I opened the fridge to get the chillies; I found the chillies all dried up and wrinkled. So had to do with just 6 chillies and it was so so so unpedas!!! I had to add chilli powder into my soup!


Blend the chillies, serai (lemongrass), onions and a small piece of belacan together.



This is the fishbones after being deboned. I used kembong. Sometimes I use selar. Boil the fish with two pieces of smashed serai in a pot of water. Keep the water as stock. Debone the fish. I think that was about 8 fishes up there....a kg I think.


The fish after deboning. Must be real thorough doing it; otherwise it's quite irritating to keep biting into fishbone while eating. This is the part which take time and I dislike. That's why I hardly cook laksa.


The garnishing and the noodles. For garnishing : cucumber, pineapple, mintleaves, big onions (I forgot to buy), chillies (optional), boiled eggs and lime (for those who like the laksa real sour).


Finally, the laksa is served with a spoon of shrimp paste (petis udang). See the colour is not red; because not enough chillies. But it is overflowing with fish. I love my laksa with lots of fish. Oh yes, must add a bowl of asam jawa water and also a few pieces of asam keping.
I know it's not much of a recipe....but that's how I cook. Simply add this and that and then taste. Of course my food does not taste as strong and powerful as Ing's as I am very careful and cautious when adding this and that whereas Ing will dump all the this and that generously.
It was really delicious except not pedas enough and I miss the big onions.







2 comments:

ing said...

haaha .... u betul2 dono how to put itstep by step ah ... but ur pix looks great!

emily @ shinyshampoo said...

OMg OMG OMG!! ada laksaaaaa!!!! come spore and sell... here tak jual assam laksa..