Thursday, October 13, 2011

graduation / prom night

Prom night...a very American culture. We see it on tv when the American kids finish high school, this is when they will have a final celebration with their friends in the basketball court or community hall which are transformed into a ballroom or dance floor.

For the past two years (I think) the school has been organizing this kind of do for the fifth formers. A lot of time and effort have been thrown into the preparation; including a whole week of rehearsal after school. Someone mentioned that it's almost like preparing the girls to meet the queen. Their clothes were checked to make sure they look decent. Shoes were checked too.

I try to put myself in the shoes of the fifth former. How would I want my graduation night to be? (Never had one as it wasn't the thing during my days).
a. First of all, my close friends and I must be in agreement that all of us would attend.

b. I would like to be given the freedom to choose my clothes; of course in accordance to the dress code. If my clothes are too plain or simple, would appreciate if no comments are made about them (look like the maid's clothes etc). Being a simple person and lacking in dressing sense; I would most probably dress very simply. But of course, constructive suggestions which will not incur more expenses would be most helpful.

c. Shoes....I may not even wear high-heeled court shoes. Probably a pretty sandal with slight heel which can be worn for all occasions.

d. Makeup and hairdo...well if there are friends who are willing to help me with it and let me use their makeup; I'll have my face coloured and what have you. (Remembered Irene doing my face when I was in Form 5....think a bit overdone; now that I look at the pictures. Didn't quite like looking at myself like that). Otherwise, lipstick would do.

e. Well, if this were to take place back home in Sitiawan; I would probably arrive at the destination on my motorbike! With the helmet on my head, whatever hairdo that I had prepared would have probably gone flat.

f. Most importantly the program. I would like to sit with my own friends. Enjoy a wonderful time of chatting, laughing and giggling. If there is entertainment; good and well. Shaking hands with dignatries would be great as it adds glamour and prestige to the night. But most important of all, I want a night where I can have good, clean enjoyment without the stress of making mistakes.

Tomorrow is the night the girls will shine and glitter. I hope they have a real good, enjoyable and memorable time.

No comments: