Monday, May 2, 2011

crunchy cheese cake

It's holiday....and I've not baked for a long time. Promised Pn Yee I'll bring cheese cake to school for her tomorrow. So I woke up bright and early this morning to do my baking!!

This is a favourite with the kids. It has the saltish taste of cheese and the top is crunchy. It's almost like an ordinary cake but the cheese makes the difference.


The ingredients needed for the cake. I use two machines here; one to beat the egg white and sugar; the other to beat the butter and sugar. Unfortunately, the machine for beating the egg white stopped working after I turned it off. About time for it to konk off anyway....overworked it with all my cookie baking before CNY. I've an excuse now to get a bigger machine.


Here's the chef/baker lining the tin. I use oil paper nowadays for baking....so much easier to clean up.


Pop into the pre-heated over for 50mins at 180.




After 50 minutes...the whole house smells of cheesy cake.




CRUNCHY CHEESE CAKE (from Agnes Chan's recipe book)


Ingredients:


250 g butter


100g icing sugar


5 egg whites


120 g castor sugar


5 egg yolks


200g self-raising flour mixed with 35g cornflour; sifted twice


100 g grated cheddar cheese


Topping:


60 g grated cheddar cheese


(I added chopped almond)
1. Cream butter and icing sugar till light.


2. Whisk egg whites and casotr sugar till stiff. Add egg yolks and beat well.


3. Mix in btter mixture (1) and fold in flour and cheese.


4. Pour into a lined and greased 22cm baking tin.


5. Sprinkle grated cheese to cover the top.


6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for 50minutes.




The cake was a hit....finished in no time at home. I had to protect the little container that I kept aside for school. Chan and Seck loved it....they were protecting the cake in the container to make sure Pn Yee has her share.






No comments: