Thursday, May 26, 2011

exam fever

First it was Dan...preparing for exam seems pretty simple for him. Just take his book, read (or pretending to read??) and at the same time talking incessantly to the sister or whoever is around him. When the clock shows 8.30pm, his revision is done. Pack his bag and ready for bed!! After each paper, no worries...all done with.

Then the sister's turn. It was stressful. I felt stressed looking at her. Locked in her room; sometimes carrying the book to and fro, looking for a conducive place to study.... Her busyness with the choir pracitices had taken a toll on her study time. Her reaction after each exam varies from frown, smile, mutterings to tantrum.... I think the worst was her History paper. Sometimes I wonder if she's being to hard on herself just because the mother is a History teacher and thus she has higher expectations of herself.

Dan received his report card early this week. Grades dropped especially Maths. I had to take drastic actions. No more TV, computer, nintendo till after UPSR. Every evening after dinner, it's Maths practice till bedtime. Well, if this does not help I don't know what else to do.

The sister will have to wait till after the holidays. I will brace myself for more temper and tantrum...she has given me sufficient warning that her grades may drop too. Did threaten to confiscate the ipod if it happens.

Sigh...it's not easy watching over teenagers' academics. Why must the mother always do the dirty job???

2 comments:

Michelle Tam said...

hi puan ting :)

it's michelle tam here. you may not remember me, but i was assistant head girl in 2005 and you taught me history when i was in 4 sigma/5 omega.

i was told you're on facebook but am unsure if you still have an account, so here's my linkedin url (since i don't blog) if you need to place a face to the name :) http://linkd.in/h84wli

just wanted to let you know you've really inspired me, and that i always loved talking to you as i found you very wise.

you told me to always have integrity and dignity in everything i do, and 6 years on, i've strived so hard in all areas of my life to live up to your words. and it's served me well so far, thank god :) i hope life has continued to be good to you too.

i'm now about to graduate from uni and enter the working world of media and communications. free time is a bit scarce for us all, but i do hope to visit puteri/you sometime for a catch up chat. do take care until then, and god bless you!

love,
michelle

AJ7 said...

Who says raising kids is easy? At this age and time when they have it really good too.... Happy Parenting!