Wednesday, November 9, 2011

amish culture

I am a great fan of books related to the Amish. Infact I wrote a review on a set of Amish books which I purchased for Lyn two years ago. http://siamooi.blogspot.com/2009/12/abrams-daughters-by-beverly-lewis.html They are fantastic.

In the recent book hunt, I bought another set of books about the Amish people written by Beth Wiseman...a series of four books in the Daughters of the Promise novel. Excellent writer whose characters are so alive and real and she has a lot of biblical lessons in her stories.

I learnt quite a few lessons from her books : a. simplicity in life
b. don't question God's will....to the Amish it's a sin..wow..pretty strong words
c. to worry is sin because it means that one doesn't trust God...as I ponder on it, I realise how small my faith is...

Anyway, I started to look for more of such books and found this video on youtube. Pretty interesting documentary on the Amish culture and how two young adults are struggling with some of the rules in their culture. They have a set of rules (which is not the Bible) known as ordnung; it is both written and unwrittenrules; passed down from generation to generation. The church leaders especially the bishop has a very strong hold and influence on their society. No human is perfect and these people are far from perfect. Very interesting and educational documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhoz_nLqMlI

If ever I were to visit the US, I would like to visit the Amish community in Pennsylvania. If they have homestay, I think I don't mind staying a while to experience a life that is basic...no electricity, tv, telephone etc.

No comments: