Wednesday, November 2, 2011

a walk to the village

We walked to the village twice...on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. On Saturday we did not venture far. Managed to have dinner before returning to SP.

We were braver on Sunday. We walked from 9am to 12pm. I was exhausted from the heat. Had only a cap to protect me and am very tanned on top of my already tanned complexion.



Most energetic as we started off.


Quite a long list of kampungs here but I think we probably passed only three. The villages are not big at all. Maybe about 10-20 houses. The people are very friendly. Whenever they pass by us on the motorbike, the men will definitely tabik and the women will give their broadest smile. This is so unlike us living in the city/town where I am guilty of ignoring people.



The road is hilly. It is cemented all the way. Not very wide. Enough for a motorbike to pass.


We passed the Twin Beach Resort which is closed. It has a nice beach facing the South China Sea and the jetty is on the other side facing the mainland; just like SP. I guess that is why it is called Twin Beach. Quite a nice place; very neat but not luxurious like SP.


Along the beach we saw quite a few skeleton boats like this. I wonder is there any other way of getting rid of old boats without creating an eye sore?



One of the villages...The center building is a restaurant. We wanted to eat there on Sunday but it was not open. Neither was the other shop which we had dinner on Saturday open. So hungry me had to walk 25minutes back to the resort for lunch. Despite all the walking, I didn't lose an ounce but gained a kg!


We met an old lady sitting on the beach opening clams. Another lady was collecting it from the beach (tide was low so she could walk quite far out). This clam (forgotten the name she gave) is huge. It has to be cleaned well or else it will cause food poisoning.


This is kerang/clam...those which are found is kari laksa. It is also huge. The ones we normally see in the market is half or less of this size.


This village is closer to SP. It is made up of a few poor looking houses. KC says it is better to look poor and get subsidy from the government.


One lonely primary school here. I was on the phone talking to Lyn. Actually the whole time I was here, I missed the kids terribly especially in the evenings. I felt so bad for not bringing them with me.


Life here is so slow paced compared to our lives that KC and I teased each other that we should just retire and live on the island. I can teach English here and he can be a cowherd. (There are lots of cows in this village).



KC's dream house. This is one of the better looking houses and it is quite big. Set KC dreaming of what it would be like to live here. I think we will soon be bored.


Walking around the village reminded me a lot of Sitiawan Estate and the malay kampung nearby. The smell of cowdung is everywhere. We didn't see any cows on the first day but we saw and smell the dung everywhere.


The village is here more picturesque than than kampung back in Sitiawan. I think its near the beach and the grass don't seem to grow long. So it looks quite neat. Wonder when we will do this again....just walk through a village for the fun of it.




















1 comment:

PreciousPearl said...

u know I can't imagine KC being a cowherd...