Monday, January 9, 2012

Untold Story by Monica Ali

This is the second book by Monica Ali that I have read. The first was Brick Lane.

When a celebrity dies, does one wonder if there is any conspiracy involved in the death? I try explaining conspiracy theory to Daniel....take Michael Jackson's death for an example. What if he faked his death because he is so ashamed that he has turned black again and he just couldn't face the public? Lame example...the kids groaned and argued with me as to why he turned white.

Back to the book; it's a little like the MJ example I gave. This story is about Princess Diana....what if she didn't die but was hiding away somewhere under another identity.....

It is written from the view of three persons....Lydia (the identity Diana took), Lawrence Standing (her private secretary and 'partner in crime') and Grabber...the paparazzi who followed her for 17 years while she was alive and found her again 10 years after her death.

A book that is totally different from all others that I have read. Exciting and left me breathless especially towards the ending part when she finally realised that the paparazzi was after her again.

Monica Ali twists the story so well that at the end the hunter becomes the hunted.

Overall, the story exudes a sense of sadness, hopelessness and helplessness....makes me sad to think of Princess Diana and the life she led.

Well, how did it end....very very interesting...you have to read for yourself to find out. I love this book. (The thing about book reviews is you can't tell too much or you'll spoil the book and it's no longer worth reading.)

Thanks Lyn for an excellent choice; I wouldn't have bought it had I seen it on the shelf. Shows that you have great taste in choosing books!!!!

No comments: