Wednesday, June 27, 2012

canteen day 2012


Today was the annual Hari Kooperasi/Canteen Day. A few girls from 4 Sigma dropped by my house after school to make mashed potatoes. Asha bought 5kg of russets, a box of cheese and butter. Sent them straight to work after they had a little tea. First they had to peel the potatoes. Hehe....Ing had to show them how to peel them.

Then after the potatoes were boiled, showed them how to mash them up. I'm so glad they came or else I would have to mash the potatoes the whole night. Asha tried making the gravy but it didn't out. Gave her corn flour instead of wheat flour. So I thought we will just have to do without it.

Today was quite a mess in a way....had to help the girls organised. They seemed quite lost and not focussed at first. We had nasi briyani (from Afreen), magi goreng (Amirah), cookies and little cakes from Shamiha and Diyana, Elaine brought a deep fryer while Rachel brought a portable stove. So we had fried stuff, sausages and fishballs. 

The mashed potatoes were not selling at first. Another class had gravy over their potatoes. So I rushed home and tried to cook some gravy from a recipe I googled. Failed!!! I had no patience to brown it, and the bottom kind of burnt. So I took a can of chicken soup and boiled it. Returned to school and passed to the girls and told them that's gravy. The potatoes finished in no time!

Overall, the sale was a big sluggish at first. Shouldn't have invited the professionals to join the sale. All the teachers bought from the adults who set up the stall instead of from the students. I bought from my stall because it's my class. I spent the rest of my coupon at the adults' stall.

We made a sale of RM546. After deducting the cost and rental of space, there is only RM102 left!!! Wow....definitely not easy making money. The experience was really good. I had great fun with the girls and it's so nice to see them cooperative. I just need to say do this/that and they would be rushing to help me.

No comments: