Saturday, June 30, 2012

Lyn's essay


Insights gained from a visit to an old folk’s home

The old folk’s home. To be honest, I have always avoided visiting those places because it practically yelled depression while shoving its sanitary scent up your nose. But when my grandmother was sent Mercy Homes, I could no longer avoid going there. Thus, began my weekly trips there to visit the one woman who meant a lot in my life. At first, I thought visiting her was merely to keep in touch with her and keep her company, but it was more than that. Those visits became  lessons for me, lessons about life.

Once, when I was heading to my grandma’s room, as I walked pass a door, I saw a helper feeding one of the residents there. She was pass ninety, suffering from dementia and at that moment, refusing to eat her lunch despite much persuading from the helper. Despite all that, the helper continued to coax patiently, waiting for her to be ready to eat. Though it took a long time, eventually she ate her lunch and settled down. It was not an easy job but the gentleness in the helper’s eyes and the way he patiently fed her left no doubt that to him this was not just a job but a labour of love as well. I left mulling about patience and what it truly meant to me.

There was also another resident, Mr Chong. Eighty-six, bald, and fluent in five languages, he carried a strong personality despite his age. Many a times when I visited my grandma, I would also chat with him. He would share stories about his past, family and especially about his children. Through those chats, I saw a man who knew how to smile despite hardships and continued to make the best of every situation. I learnt about contentment and facing adversity with a smile because when life throws lemons at you, learn to make lemonade from it.

Mr Chong was just one of them. Others too had their own story to tell and each time I visited the old folks home and got to know each of them better, I continued learning much more. I heard about how the children treated their parents like excess baggage. I saw how some waited listlessly, wishing to return to a home that no longer existed. But I also saw the kindness that they showed towards each other, the little disputes that were forgiven and forgotten, the resilience that they had when faced with each trouble . To them, life wasn’t just about chasing dreams anymore, but it is also the time to appreciate the finer things in life.

To me the residents of Mercy Homes have taught me valuable lessons. Some were life changing while others were timely reminders, but each lesson was unforgettable indeed. Even now, though my grandma and those residents are no longer around, their stories of faith and love still continue to inspire me and to serve as a reminder that life is short. So don’t wait till the last minute to appreciate it. 

(This essay was sent to a state level competition organized by a Sai Baba group and she won the first place.)

Third placing, national level.

No comments: