Thursday, December 10, 2009

medical bill

I was warded to a private hospital for four days and 3 nights. I requested for a two bedded room but admission say there is only single or four bedded. Of course I won't take four bedded...too crowded for comfort.

On my first day, the nurses were real nice and helpful. On my second day, the day of the surgery; I was unconscious most of the time..the nurses were extremely attentive too. They have to be anyway. On the third day, I was still well treated and taken care of. On the fourth day, the day that I was to be discharged; the nurses hardly came in to see me. I was informed that after the doctor sees me, the billing procedure will start and I will be informed once the bill is ready for collection.

I waited till almost one o'clock and no word came. So I went to the nurses' counter and asked if my bill was ready for collection. A whole group of nurses were gossiping and giggling. A nurse looked at the computer and picked up a slip and called my name. She lamely stated that it just came in.

Later I checked the bill and saw that the bill was ready at 11.56am. What on earth were the nurses doing for an hour? If I had not gone to check; they would continue to gossip and forget that a patient is waiting impatiently to go home.

This is a private hospital and the service sucks. If it is the general hospital; I can understand. And the bill gave me a shock. It was double from what the doctor mentioned. I have already suspected from the very beginning that they are out to suck every cent out of my insurance. And indeed they did. The bill came up to 10k plus!!!!!! I am sure my other colleagues who have gone through the same procedure in the same hospital paid lesser because probably the insurance premium is lesser.

I wanted to be discharged yesterday (I was totally well and able to move) but they refused to discharge me. Now my suspicion is confirmed. It's so sad that this is happening. I know I don't have to fork out any money (actually it's the company that's paying) but I just don't feel good that I should be using company money in this way and on top of it I didn't get the first class treatment that I was entitled to.

Is there anything or any way that the government is helping to improve medical services ; I wonder. No wonder doctors are filthy rich now and everybody wants their son or daughter to be a doctor.

2 comments:

AJ7 said...

So you are okay now? Hospital owners make the money-la. Some more if insurance, they really ketuk. Would be good to regulate but that won't be happening any time soon. But get well..

PreciousPearl said...

oh my dear, hope you are all recovered now. at least u r covered by insurance and don't have to pay anything...