Wednesday, May 19, 2010

ups n downs

I had a real lousy time with my 1 Zeta today. I wanted to conclude the making of the Mag Inc so that I could move on with preparing them for the Mid Year Exam next week. We started the groundwork three weeks ago and I believe I've given them sufficient time to gather information and do the necessary so that they can just paste on the materials on the template. Unfortunately, three groups out of seven were still in ground zero. I meletup!!!!!



No cooperation. No initiative. Can't be bothered. Procrastination. Lazy. Irresponsible. What else?

There was a group leader who saved all the material in her thumbdrive and passed it to a group member for printing and the giddy goat lost the thumb drive!

I edited another group's work and gave some suggestions. The group members came today without the work which I have checked and just sat there doing nothing. How can I not blow my top?

Another group talked loud and big about their plans. I helped to outline what to do etc. Today they were rushing all over trying to get coloured papers and pretending to look busy but there was no sight of anything solid. This group is a typical case of NATO....No Action Talk Only.

Sigh....but I take comfort from the cards I received on Teacher's Day; especially this particular card. I think I am still doing something good with the rest of the students.


Received many cards like this....standard kind of wordings that kind of make the teacher feels good but it is so....standard? But...what make this more special than the others?


The girls made me open the card in front of them. Tadaa!!! I was real surprised to see the coin. For a moment I thought one of them didn't bring her history notes and volunteered to pay the fine this way. Then I read the note and realised....it's a joke about me. Yes, I make them pay if they don't bring their notes, don't hand in work or incomplete work. All the money collected goes immediately into the class fund. In a way the extra effort I put in ensuring they complete their work make them to be more alert towards the subject and I hope with all my heart this will help them to take the subject seriously.

These are the girls who sent the card with the joke. It makes my day!!!!
There are ups and downs in being a teacher. Sometimes I feel like a total failure. I fail to be patient, kind, understanding. I am too critical, judgemental, harsh in my words.....I feel like kicking myself after my shower of temper. Sigh...I'm a human; not an angel of saint. If there is a teacher who is total kindess, goodness, love at all times; he/she is .......? I don't know.

4 comments:

AJ7 said...

I used to denda my students for not doing their corrections... but I gave up after a couple of years. These days I just make them sit on the floor in front of the class... that form of punishment has not made it to the list of cannot do from the Kementerian yet. LOL!

Anonymous said...

this part I dont miss about teaching :D ... yeah some days are like that.. but other days, can warm your heart and make you feel like a billion.. Happy teacher's day.. I love the handmade card.. :)

PreciousPearl said...

there, u see, i knew u are very garang one...... lol

Unknown said...

Kids have some great ideas!! Happy belated Teacher's Day.