Sunday, January 10, 2010

keropok

Chinese New Year is round the corner. I bought 4 packets of unfried keropok from Caryn this morning for RM100. Keropok is something that can't be kept long in this house. It will finish in no time.

In Seremban, almost every household serves keropok during CNY and it is usually served with acar. I have learnt to make keropok from my MIL. Years ago when I had a maid around, used to make a few rounds of keropok during the Nov/Dec holiday. Now I spend so much money buying it.

Making it is quite time consuming. Have to shell the prawns (udang kertas); small and soft/white shell....2kg to a kg of tapioca flour. Kneading and steaming is easier. Drying it is another hassle. Can take days; depending on the weather. But it is a must every year to have keropok in the house. CNY will not be complete without it.


The keropok before frying...it is sliced using a slicer, the pressure when slicing will decide the thickness. This is quite thin. KC likes it thicker.


The keropok after frying it. I have a big biscuit tin to put the keropok. Making keropok takes days, eating it is just like seconds.

My resolution this CNY is to make keropok this year!!!!!!

2 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

aiyer, u r trying to wind me up ah? 4 peket for $100!!!! adoi!

Sia Mooi said...

each paket weighs bout 500g. it's considered cheap..seen more expensive ones. dat is y i hv to start making dem la....too expensive n just c how my fmly demands for it!!!!!